Thursday, June 29, 2006
TO BE UPDATED SOON!
Saturday, June 24, 2006
Illustration Friday: Rain
My illustration friday blog can be found at: www.chippamunkeys.blogspot.com
Check out other great illustrations on www.illustrationfriday.com!
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
Vintage Fashion Art Posters c/o www.allposters.com
This cosmetic suntan lotion ad depicts the goddess, Josephine Baker. I love it! EVERYTHING ABOUT IT!! Infact I sorta want to make teeshirt of it! Just for me! Wow, this lipstick ad is pretty provocative! I think it is so amazing how some illustrators can capture so much with sooo little line work!
A 1914 illustration by the infamous Georges Barbier! You must look his illustrations up, there are spectacular!
More Vintage Fashion Art Posters - www.allposters.com
Another amazing Bourjois Parfums Paris ad. I love it, not only because it is beautiful but because the woman bears a strong resemblance to my favourite actress of all time, Audrey Hepburn. It reminds me of Sabrina so much! Maybe it is from around the same time??
Everything about this poster is beautiful, from the woman, to the gates, bird, and train. I love how the colours are very muted and soft....
More Vintage Fashion Art Prints - www.allposters.com
Beautiful add for "The Custom Tailored Man". Can you imagine if guys still dress like this everyday? Wow. But then again, I am sucker for jeans.
Jose De Zamora print. I love the BIG feathers and looowww backs... Supreme elegance, almost makes me want to go and buy a boa!
More Vintage Fashion Posters @ www.allposters.com
Bernard Villemot did many display posters for Bally. This is my fav. I love the exaggerated s-pose and the undeniably cute polka dot dress!
Many vintage Vogue covers have been made into posters... I like this one especially, but there are a million
Monday, June 19, 2006
The Story of the Travelling Parasol
(warning: terrible ugly picture of myself) I realized this soon and bought my own parasol. Here I am wearing my hotel bathrobe (btw the best bathrobe I have ever had in a hotel) and showing off my parasol. I bought this stupid parasol on the first day I was on my trip and had to drag around 4 cities, two in Japan, and two in Thailand. Do you think that I have ever used it to this day? NO! I haven't for two reasons, a) it's huge, b) I am still a little chicken... After the last two scorchers outside, I think I might actually use it!
Saturday, June 17, 2006
Incredibly HOT Day in T.O.
So I thought that I would look into retro ways of keeping the sun out, you know, before it became fashionable to be orange.
..... Oh, I thought it is sorta funny how blogger thinks that I might be a spam blog, and is making me use word verification to post now. HA! Today's word verification code: fczdaea!
hats to block the sun from rustyzipper.com
Parasols from Bella Umbrella
New Illustration Blog
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Vintage Clothing Care - Tips Taken From www.hemlockvintage.com
I found some very useful tips on www.hemlockvintage.com on how to properly clean and store your vintage or antique garments.
General Tips For Cleaning
- Be Careful!! When cleaning any vintage garments, especially silks, you are taking a huge risk.
- Make sure the fabric is washable by doing some research into exactly what type of fabric was used in the garment. It is better to try to find some good advice (i.e. books or professional advice) when considering washing vintage before actually attempting it.
- Check for colourfastness.
-Check for holes. Holes may worsen with cleaning. Rust stains may turn into holes with washing.
- If you are considering dry cleaning, investigate your dry cleaners knowledge of laundering vintage clothes. Make sure to ask about methods, and their process. Some dry cleaners use high heat while cleaning which may damage vintage clothes.
- Home dry cleaning kits are useful for eliminating smell.
- Clean any recent stains before storage. They may become impossible to remove after they have set in over time and may actually lead to disintegration.
General Tips for Storage
- Store your garments in acid-free tissue or cloth (i.e. clean muslin). This will help absorb harmful acids in your garments that might lead to disintegration or stains.
- Fragile items should be stored flat. Hanging garments could lead to tears in the shoulders overtime.
- ALWAYS store 1920's beaded garments flat. They heavy beading will lead to shredding in the shoulder area of the garment.
- It is best to purchase acid-free archival textile boxes for storage. If you cannot afford this, ($50-$150) do not use cardboard boxes as card board contains harmful acids that can ruin vintage clothing. You can use plasitc boxes, but make sure to wrap your garments in acid-free tissue first. Mildew may grow in plastic boxes, and it is best to store them in a temperature controlled, dry environment.
- Store garments in a dark environment.
For full instructions on how to properly care for your vintage garments please visit: http://www.hemlockvintage.com/care.html . Happy Cleaning!
Sunday, June 11, 2006
WOW WOW WOW - www.thefrock.com !!
Here's a sneek peek (click on images for full size view):
Friday, June 09, 2006
Illustration Friday - Jungle
I thought I would participate in Illustration Friday (www.illustrationfriday.com).
50's Cocktail dress with Sash and Bow.
This dress is available on www.vintageous.com for $245 US. Item #v4046
Chiffon Plaid/Floral Halter Gown
It is available on www.vintageous.com for $165 US.
Burnt Orange Beaded Evening Gown
This gown is available on www.vintagevixen.com for $250 US. Item #17796-1
Turquoise Chiffon Shift
When I first saw the full sized image of this dress, I wasn't really impressed, but when I looked at the detail pictures I fell in love. I love how breezy the chiffon looks.
It is available on www.vintagevixen.com for $85 US. Item #61320206-1
60's Chinese inspired Emerald Green Dress
Wow! This shantung silk chinese inspired dress is so stunning! It is available on It is available on www.vintagevixen.com
for $30 US (!!!!!). Item #61095907
Bright Orange Cocktail Dress
Quite the vibrant party dress. This beaded orange dress is available on www.partygirlvintage.com, for $150 US. Item #CP01
Finally - THE YELLOW PAGES DRESS!
This dress is available on www.enokiworld.com, for $480 US. It's a little expensive, but it is in excellent condition and very rare!
SHOE OF THE DAY
I was having some real issues finding a great shoe today! Finally I found a cute pair of mules perfect for cocktail hour!
These black Daniel Green slippers with satin cord trim are a size 6.5.
You can find them on www.old-clothes.com.
Monday, June 05, 2006
Far TOO Cute! - www.far2cute.com
She recently opened her own online vintage store via Ebay, so I thought that I would do a little showcase on her here. Basically, she's a vintage shopping addict (sound familiar) and decided to open her own store. Her goal is to offer the best vintage for the best price. So far so good! Her prices are incredible! Infact, everything starts below $15US. So you're thinking, "yeah okay, I have been on other vintage sites and seen what they have available for $15 or less... and it's really not too exciting..." Well here's the answer...
All of these pieces are for $15 or less. I think I just may have to bid on that firey orange mod dress!!
So, CHECK OUT HER WEBSITE AT www.far2cute.com, as well visit her fun vintage fashion blog at www.fartoocute.blogspot.com